Google Cloud Database Migration Service to makes it easy for enterprise customers to move production databases to the cloud.
Google Cloud announced its serverless Database Migration Service (DMS) is available in Preview, enabling customers to migrate MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server databases to Cloud SQL from on-premises environments or other clouds. For early customers like Samsung Electronics, DMS makes migrating their databases easy, cost-effective, and reliable.
Gartner predicts that by 2023, 75% of all databases will be on a cloud platform (“Gartner, Solution Criteria for Operational Database Platform as a Service, March 2020”). However, commonly used database migration offerings are costly, hard to set up, and error-prone. They frequently require additional provisioning for migration compute resources, introduce new complexities during the migration process, and can’t guarantee data fidelity.
Google Cloud’s differentiated approach
DMS is designed to be reliable and simplifies network connectivity. The serverless offering eliminates the typical need to provision and pay for migration-specific compute resources. The easy-to-use, guided experience eliminates the need for customers to read through lengthy documentation in order to set up their network. Customers can take advantage of its native replication capabilities and avoid incompatibilities between source and destination, especially for metadata operations.
“As organizations modernize their infrastructure and advance their digital transformation strategies, migrating mission-critical operational databases that power their business success is crucial,” said Andi Gutmans, General Manager, and Vice President, Engineering, Databases at Google Cloud. “Database migration is a complex process for most businesses. With Database Migration Service, we’re delivering a simplified and highly compatible product experience so that, no matter where our customers are starting from, they have an easy, and secure way to migrate their databases to Cloud SQL.”
DMS is the fast track to Cloud SQL
Cloud SQL is one of the fastest-growing services at Google Cloud, powering mission-critical workloads at some of the largest enterprises across the globe (Internal Google Cloud Data, November 2020). DMS accelerates migrations from legacy on-premises and other database cloud services to Cloud SQL, where enterprises can take advantage of unique integrations with Google Kubernetes Engine for development and BigQuery for analytics. For native like-to-like migrations to Cloud SQL, DMS is available at no additional charge.
DMS sets a new standard for accelerating cloud migrations
– Simple. From preparing the databases, to configuring secure connectivity, to validating the migration setup, DMS provides a guided, integrated experience. Customers benefit from a fast and repeatable setup, with fewer surprises.
– Serverless. DMS is unique as a serverless migration service, eliminating the manual customer hassle of provisioning, managing, or monitoring migration-specific resources. Automatic scaling means fast data replication, minimizing downtime for production workloads.
– Secure and compatible. DMS protects sensitive data during migration with support for multiple secure, private connectivity configurations. DMS leverages native database replication capabilities to ensure compatibility, reliability, and high fidelity.
“HCL customers across every industry are moving to the cloud to be more agile, secure and scalable, and looking for a trusted partner to deliver an end-to-end experience to migrate their production workloads without disrupting their business,” said Sanjay Singh, Vice President & Head of HCL Google Cloud Ecosystem at HCL. “Database Migration Service accelerates their migration path to help them unlock the benefits of Google Cloud databases.”
“We have seen an acceleration in migrations across the board, including a wave of customers leaving AWS for other cloud service providers. This makes it vital for providers like Google Cloud to provide tools to streamline these migrations,” says John Santaferraro, Research Director for Data and Analytics at Enterprise Management Associates (EMA). “Google Cloud’s Database Migration Service takes an innovative, serverless and user-first approach to eliminate some of the complexity and risk normally associated with production database migrations. This new offering is a strong signal that Google Cloud is committed to helping their customers achieve success easily, securely, and reliably.”
Availability and Getting Started
DMS supports migrations of self-hosted MySQL databases, either on-premises or in the cloud, as well as managed databases from other clouds, to Cloud SQL for MySQL. Customers can start migrating with DMS at no additional charge for native like-to-like migrations to Cloud SQL.
Support for PostgreSQL is currently available for limited customers in Preview, with SQL Server coming soon (request access for both).
Google Cloud provides organizations with leading infrastructure, platform capabilities and industry solutions. We deliver enterprise-grade cloud solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology to help companies operate more efficiently and adapt to changing needs, giving customers a foundation for the future. Customers in more than 150 countries turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to solve their most critical business problems.
Google Cloud DMS Database Migration Service
Il servizio serverless consente ai clienti di migrare i database MySQL, PostgreSQL e SQL Server verso il Cloud SQL, da ambienti on-premises o da altri cloud. Database Migration Service è una soluzione semplice e affidabile per i clienti business che vogliono migrare il proprio database di produzione sul cloud.
Database Migration Service
– Semplice. Dalla preparazione dei database, alla configurazione di una connettività sicura, alla convalida della configurazione della migrazione, DMS fornisce un’esperienza guidata e integrata. I clienti beneficiano di una configurazione rapida e ripetibile.
– Serverless. DMS è unico come servizio di migrazione serverless, eliminando l’apporto manuale del cliente per il provisioning, la gestione o il monitoraggio delle risorse specifiche della migrazione. Uno scaling automatico comporta una rapida replica dei dati, riducendo al minimo i tempi di inattività per i carichi di lavoro di produzione.
– Sicuro e compatibile. DMS protegge i dati sensibili durante la migrazione con il supporto di molteplici configurazioni di connettività, sicure e private. DMS sfrutta le capacità di replica dei database nativi per garantire compatibilità, affidabilità e alta fedeltà.
Andi Gutmans, General Manager e Vice President, Engineering, Databases di Google Cloud afferma: “Mentre le organizzazioni modernizzano le proprie infrastrutture e portano avanti le proprie strategie di trasformazione digitale, la migrazione dei database operativi mission-critical che alimentano il successo del business è fondamentale. La migrazione dei database è un processo complesso per la maggior parte delle aziende. Con Database Migration Service, stiamo offrendo un’esperienza di prodotto semplificata e altamente compatibile, in modo che, indipendentemente dal punto di partenza, i nostri clienti possano, in modo semplice e sicuro migrare i propri database verso Cloud SQL”.
DMS è il percorso veloce verso Cloud SQL, uno dei servizi a più rapida crescita di Google Cloud, che alimenta i carichi di lavoro mission-critical in alcune delle più grandi imprese di tutto il mondo. DMS accelera le migrazioni da servizi legacy on-premises e altri servizi di database cloud a Cloud SQL, dove le imprese possono usufruire di integrazioni uniche con Google Kubernetes Engine per lo sviluppo e BigQuery per l’analisi.